Queer History Month
The Queer History Month of Finland will be celebrated for the third time in November. The purpose of the month is to review Finnish history and culture from a queer perspective and include the queer narratives into our common cultural heritage.
The history of sexual and gender minorities has always existed and been present during all times, cultures and social classes, but it has mostly been written out or silenced. To find it requires sensibility and ability to see differently. We challenge you and your organisation to take part in making the silenced history our shared cultural heritage!
Queer History Month is an event series that is open to everyone. You can participate in the celebration in many different ways, for example by arranging an event in your own organization, online or by making the month visible through your own communication channels.
How to join?
- Organise events, workshop or an exhibition
- Organise theme guided tour
- Organise a seminar online or a virtual guided tour
- Publish an article
- Share and highlight the material of your organisation in your premises or on your website and social media
- Share information about Queer History Month in social media with hashtags #queerhistoriskmånad #sateenkaarihistoriakuukausi #queerhistorymonth or at the Facebook page: www.facebook.com/sateenkaarihistoriakuukausi
The month is realised through the funding of participating organizations. The main organiser is Sateenkaarihistorian ystävät ry / Queerhistoriens vänner rf (The friends of queer history association). The coordinator is The Finnish Labour Museum Werstas.
Submit your event
Submit your event for the Queer History Month and give us at least the following information:
- Organizer of the event and contact information: name, email & phone number?
- How does the content of the event / program relate to Queer History Month?
- The title of the event / program?
- Short description of the event?
- Time for the event?
- Venue for the event (address and arrival instructions)?
- About online events: address or instructions to follow live stream?
- Information about ticket price, or if the event is free?
- Language options?
- Accessibility (accessible space, accessible toilet, induction loop, etc.)?
- The event's website?
- Other info about the event?
You are welcome to send a picture for the event – please note that the picture size must be large enough for online publication.
Please send this information no later than 15.10.2020 to museum director Ulla Rohunen, 050-440 1157, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The website of Queer History Month is under construction and will be published in the beginning of October. The program will be published at the website and Facebook in October.
50 years since decriminalisation in 2021
As we celebrate this year’s Queer History Month, it is also worth thinking about the next year’s anniversary. Next year it will be 50 years since homosexual acts were decriminalised in Finland. We would like to see the anniversary visible in the activities of memory institutions and cultural organisations in 2021.
The Finnish Labour Museum Werstas
Ulla Rohunen, 050-440 1157, email@example.com.
Queer History Month on Facebook